I’ve enjoyed reading about the lost loves of both Lanea Stagg and Deborah Nam-Krane in the past two days. But I have to confess: I’m feeling a bit
of guilt over the subject matter I’ve chosen to write about on this “You’ve
Lost That Lovin’ Feeling” blog hop. I
think it’s because my old love helped me get through one of the darkest times
of my life, so admitting that I’m no longer a fan feels a bit like a betrayal.
But honesty has become something that is lauded (and oddly debauched) these
days, so I might as well come to terms with it.
In the early spring of 1999 my first marriage ended. Don’t
get uncomfortable. This post isn’t about him or us. It’s about how I coped with
the complete disappearance of the life I had envisioned at the time. There was one deliberate decision I made
during the packing of the “this is mine – that is yours” boxes that made everything
easier. Though I knew full well that my ex was the driving force behind the
purchase of one specific CD, I slipped it in with my things. Maybe out of spite?
Okay, it was entirely out of spite. But that decision led me down a path of
fandom that could have lived still to this day…except…well I’ll get to that
later.
The CD was Stunt by the Barenaked Ladies. Yeah. You just
take that in. I’ll give you a moment.
Ya ready?
OK let’s get into it then. At this stage in the Canadian
band’s career, they were finally getting a taste of the popularity that had consistently
eluded them in the United States. It was
an exciting time. The guys were young and free spirited. Their music was witty
and fun. It was everything I needed to feel hopeful again. So I pretty much
wore the disc out.
Months later, I was working a temp job in my old hometown.
It was mindless work – slapping labels on court folders – so those of us that were
able to multitask were chatting about various things. I don’t recall who
brought up the Barenaked Ladies first, myself, or the guy at the other end of
the table, but as the conversation went on, it became clear that he was not
just a casual fan, but rather a full-fledged aficionado. This knowledge paired
with the discovery that I had attended high school with his lovely wife made us
fast friends. Friends don’t let friends go through life believing that Stunt is
the best the Barenaked Ladies had to offer, so Matt and Kellie convinced me to
join them for the band’s Maroon tour stop in Cleveland.
Oh. My. God.
I was blown away. I mean, completely blown away by the energy, the camaraderie, the Kraft
dinner pelting me in the back of the head. It was a life-changing experience. I
left that arena determined to soak up every album they had ever recorded prior
and every album they ever would release ever until the end of time ever. Ever.
My fandom knew no bounds.
I bought every CD. I joined the fan forum. I saved up
vacation time to follow them on three consecutive tour dates. The guy from the 90210
Peach Pit highlighted them in a documentary but only released it in the UK and
instead of accepting that I just couldn’t have that one piece of memorabilia, I
befriended a guy in Colorado that mailed me a VHS copy at no charge.
I was relentless.
![]() |
| Me being relentless with Tyler Stewart and Kevin Hearn and enourmous glasses. |
Their sound evolved and I evolved with them. Their material
got political and I got political with them. They threw together a kids album
and I…I…
I just couldn’t relate anymore.
I tried. I really did. But…7 “ate” 9? I’m all for whimsy,
but there’s nothing sadder than forced whimsy. And this felt very forced.
As it turned out, it kind of was. Steven Page had a little
run-in with the law and left the band within the next year. While the
remaining members have been successfully carrying on without him, it’s just
never been the same for me. I have officially fallen out of love.
I guess there’s not much else to say to them except, “Thanks.
That was fun.”
Be sure to visit Jami’s blog tomorrow to see what just doesn’t
do it for her anymore.



2 comments:
Oh man...there's something about saying goodbye to a musical artist that's so much more wrenching than seeing off a book or movie. But forced cheerfulness is a great reason to walk away (remember that Cure Friday I'm In Love song?), so don't feel bad!
I loooved your description of your barenaked journey!!!! My face hurts from smiling....thank you!
Post a Comment