Friday, January 05, 2007

The Hostess With the Mostest?

I just read that Pure Nightclub, in Las Vegas, paid Britney Spears $300,000.00 to "Host" their New Year's Eve party.

$300,000.00...

To "host"...

When you know all she really did was make an appearance and say something into the mic every now and then. (Because if she were actually "hosting" the shindig, the Hors d'Oeuvres would have been Cheetos and partygoers would have toasted the new year wearing trucker caps and cut off shorts.)

I'm completely floored. Think about it. Jay and I love to host dinner parties. The kind where he spends an entire day wearing his apron in the kitchen, putting together things like roasted walnuts in a port wine glaze or Foie Gras crostini. The kind where everyone dresses up and keeps their linen napkins in their lap. The kind where Dean Martin croons in the background as we all sit around the table telling hilarious stories. The kind where we go through 5 or 6 bottles of wine in one night.

Nobody pays us to host those kinds of parties - they cost US money. In fact, ever since we moved to Cincinnati, we haven't been able to afford hosting those kinds of parties.

But Pure Nightclub just paid Britney Spears $300,000.00 to show up and smile.
She probably didn't even spit out her gum.

I'm in the wrong fucking business.

No comments: