Tuesday, July 17, 2007

Ah Elwyn...

My Sister & Claire came to visit over the weekend. It was great, as usual. We ate. We shopped. We laughed. By the end of the visit I realized, as I always do at the end of these sort of visits, that I really wish I could see more of them.

But that's not really what I'm writing about today. I'm writing about yet another hilarious Jay quote that came out of the last day they were with us.

Before coming to Cincinnati, they first drove up to Ashtabula and stayed with my parents for a few days. In anticipation of their visit, my parents decided to finally make the bedrooms my sister & I had once occupied into actual guest bedrooms. Most notably, they converted the water beds (yes...we had water beds) into functional beds by filling them in with real mattresses. But they also grabbed all of the crap that's been serving as a shrine to Kerrie & Sue for all these years and packed it up in giant "to go" boxes so we could sift through it all ourselves and decide what was trash or treasure. Nine boxes traveled my way in my sister's spacious van. They stayed in that van through the weekend until just before Sue and Claire were about ready to hit the road for home.

We put Elwyn in the bedroom because we didn't want to chase him down every time one of us came through the door with a load. We lined all the boxes up in my hallway, taking a few quick glances at some of the photographs along the way. Jay snickered at some of them...especially the ones with clear evidence that I went to high school in the early 90's:

When we were finally all done, we let Elwyn out of the bedroom and he immediately went to the stack of boxes and started sniffing. Jay squatted down beside him, patted his tiny, furry head and said, "Ah Elwyn, do you smell big hair??"

Smart Ass.

No comments: