Thursday, May 01, 2008

31 Flavors of Cream on the Wall

Elwyn had a doctor's appointment yesterday. He was perfectly healthy - just due for some prodding and vaccinations. But because the appointment was in the evening, it threw off our normal dinner routine. We were forced to go out to eat. We chose Rick's Tavern because it's one of the few restaurants in the area that participate in the UPromise program (Yes, I'm still paying off my damned college education - ask me how you can help!). As we rounded the corner of the street, we noticed a lot of cars in the Baskin Robbins parking lot. It turns out, last night was "$0.31 Scoop Night" in honor of the National Fallen Firefighters Foundation. So we made a pact to save room for dessert and planned to stop back at Baskin Robbins before heading home.

By the time we got there, the line was spilling out the door. It seemed like every mini soccer player and their parents wanted cheap ice cream. I haven't seen that many pony tails & cleats in one place since I watched the trailer for Bend it Like Beckham.

Anyhow, there were two laugh out loud moments we shared while we endured the line for our precious two scoops. The first, was when an elderly couple pulled up into a parking space. I turned to Jay and said, "Bet they take one look at the line and decide to go home." He said, "Nope...in fact...you're looking at our future right there, Honey." I turned around and saw, the husband, sitting in the air conditioned car as the wife stood alone in line. Nice, eh?

A little while later, I was being silly and mentioned that we should get a scoop for Elwyn since he was such a good boy for the Vet. Jay thought a moment then said, "Dairy for an adult cat, eh? Look, if you want someone to poop on the living room carpet, I can do that. I can even have a conversation with you while I do it."

Needless to say, I steered away from the chocolatey flavors when I got to the front of the line.

No comments: