Saturday, September 27, 2008

5 Things I Learned From Ike

1. He really was one nasty sum'bitch!



2. Trees don't really bend like the ones on the cover of The Lorax. They actually snap in half and take lamp posts with them.



3. People, when forced to live without power for days at a time, will resort to tribal behavior. This is a photo of one of my downstairs neighbors, "cooking" over a "fire pit" made of whatever rocks, dirt, sticks, charcoal & lighter fluid she had lying around. Note that the pit is cleverly situated on a patch of dead, hay-like grass. It's a shame my high school Spanish teacher never taught me how to say "Stop Drop and Roll".



4. Ice is a surprisingly valuable commodity. If WaMu had offered it's panicky customers unlimited bags of ice as enticement to keep all of their funds in the bank, they might still be in business right now. I know this because I've never seen faces as proud and confident as those I saw pushing carts full of ice at Meijer last week. I've also never seen faces become so tightfisted and protective as when I asked those same people if they could spare just one bag. Yes. Ice, my friends, is where it's at.



5. As miserable as I was for a couple of days...I'm still actually pretty damned lucky.

No comments: