Monday, May 04, 2015

May the 4th Be With You!

Whether you love the franchise or just enjoy a witty play on words, you’re probably aware that today has become a pretty important day in Star Wars fandom. If you’re not so fond of either, you probably wince a bit more each time you hear one of us say, “May the 4th be with you!”

Whenever I think about Star Wars, I think back to rainy days in elementary school - those days when it was just too dreary to go out on the playground after lunch, so our teachers would pack us all into one classroom and wheel in the old A/V cart.

It's a thing of beauty!

Many times, the cart meant a few Looney Tunes cartoons or an episode of The Letter People. But if Mr. Moravetz was wheeling in the cart, we knew we’d be watching Star Wars.  Going off topic a bit, I just have to say that John (Jack) Moravetz was the best teacher I ever had, not just because he let us watch Star Wars again and again, but because he took the time to know and understand each one of us. I distinctly remember him calling me up to his desk after I had spectacularly failed my first assignment in long division.  The first words out of his mouth were, “Now, I don’t want you to cry, Kerrie,” which, of course we both knew was inevitable. I had never failed an assignment in my 9-year life. He knew how much it mattered to me. And he promised to find a different way to explain the concept so I would understand it. And he did. And I wish I could have thanked him today, but sadly, he’s off exploring another galaxy far, far away.

Back to the classroom: That floor might have been as cold as an ice block and my bottom may have been completely numb, but I never cared. Han and Chewie were saving the galaxy (with a little help from R2D2, Leia, Luke and C3PO, listed in order of importance. It’s not up for discussion.) I was riveted. It was dangerous and exciting.  It was an escape from the awkward reality of everything that third grade encompassed.  But I didn't just dream and escape when I watched Star Wars.  During those rainy recess periods I witnessed the constant struggle of good versus evil, I learned about the necessity of loyal friendship, and I figured out exactly the kind of guy I wanted to marry.

Scoundrel I thought I'd marry on the left. Scoundrel I actually married on the right.

That’s right, kids. Star Wars shaped me into the woman I am today. *gasp* *shudder* *applaud*

So, when I say, “May the 4th be with you,” I'm not just simply geeking out over a really great pun.  I'm also wishing for you to be brave. Be awesome. Be good. Be loyal. Be lovable.  Today and every day.


No comments: