Tuesday, December 09, 2008

16 Random Facts

I have been tagged!

Here are the rules:
Write 16 secrets or random things about yourself, and tag 16 people you'd like to know more about. Be sure to tag me as well so I can see what you've written. (This whole "tagging" thing will probably only work in Facebook, but I plan to post this all over the blogosphere. If I don't tag you and you feel you should have been tagged, by all means, please share your own random facts!)

Here are mine:

1. I'm often assumed to be much younger than my actual age, despite several strands of gray hair peeking out from my part. I still get carded at bars and when buying alcohol at stores. It's always fun to see the double take as a server/cashier examines my date of birth.


2. I can't handle walking closely in front of people. After 4 years, Jay still tries to be a gentleman and let me go first when we're being seated at a restaurant and I feel like a terrible girlfriend when I have to remind him that I'd prefer not to lead. I feel like I'm crushing his magically instinctual sense of chivalry.


3. (The word "magically" just made me think of this one.) Whenever I eat Lucky Charms cereal (or even see the box on the shelf), I am compelled to sing the jingle. No,no - I'm serious. I literally cannot continue with my day until the words "Frosted Lucky Charms, they're magically delicious!" have crossed my lips.


4. Speaking of Leprechauns, I feel a slight twinge of guilt when I participate in St. Patrick's Day celebrations because I don't have a bit of Irish in me and I'm not Catholic. I can pretty easily chase that twinge down with the pint of Guinness that comes along side my ham and eggs, but I just thought I should acknowledge that the twinge is there.


5. I could possibly be the meanest driver in the continental United States. Outside of the car, I'm as happy-go-lucky as they come...but when I get behind the wheel, it's a transformation of hulk-like proportions. There used to be a lot of screaming and gnashing of teeth but after an unfortunate experience back in August, I've learned the art of traffic ventriloquism. Oh you should hear the terrible names that escape my closed lips! Actually, I take that back. Nobody should hear the terrible names that escape my closed lips!


6. The likelihood of my traffic tantrums can be drastically reduced if the music blaring from my car stereo is something I can sing along with. I think it's because I'd rather finish my musical phrase than waste my breath on the idiot in front of me. Christmas music works the best for obvious reasons (it's nearly impossible to harbor bad feelings for the hesitant driver of the first car at the green light while you're belting "Mele Kalikimaka" with Bing and The Andrews Sisters). I've also had similarly good results with other crooners and Broadway musicals.


7. I cry waaaay too easily. Last night, I got choked up just telling Jay about a St. Jude Children's Research Hospital commercial that got to me. The darn commercial wasn't even on at the time - I was just remembering it and I was a mess!


8. I also laugh way too easily. You know the BNL line "I'm the kinda guy who laughs at a funeral"? That's totally me. And I'm not just saying that - I've actually done it. (If you're reading this note in Facebook - there's a video following this fact that probably won't carry through in the "import". If you want to see the video, click the link at the bottom that says "view original post" and it will take you to my Blogspot site.)


9. Speaking of BNL (Barenaked Ladies): I heart them! Most of you already know that, but for those of you that don't, there you have it. I'm dying to go on the next Ships & Dip Cruise, and there's even a contest going on right now for a free cabin & airfare, but I'm not even going to enter because I'm saving up my 2009 vacation time for the honeymoon. That's right, I finally met one man I love more than these five.


10. I learned to ride a bike out of spite. I remember the day very clearly. The whole family (aunts, uncles, cousins, etc.) were gathered at camp Hideaway and all of the kids decided to go on a bike ride together. My reminder that I couldn't quite ride on my own yet was met with a unanimous shrug and a cloud of dust. I was so pissed off I grabbed one of the crappy bikes they'd left behind and pedaled my ass off until I caught up with them, then I stuck out my tongue and split off on my own path at the fork in the road. That was a victorious day in Kerrie-Land.


11. I really dislike sports. I disliked being forced to participate in them as a child. I dislike that I'm expected to care about them as an adult (What the Heck does "Who Dey" mean anyway?). And I really dislike that some professional athletes are paid millions of dollars to throw a ball while most US soldiers are paid meager thousands to put their lives on the line for us every day.


12. I can't properly snap my fingers or whistle. It works out great when I'm around my sister since at least one of those habits annoys her to no end, but if I'm ever someplace where snapping or whistling is encouraged or even expected, I feel a bit inadequate.


13. I've never understood exactly why the number 13 is considered unlucky. If you order a dozen delicious donuts and the bakery winds up tossing in an extra one, that's actually pretty lucky, isn't it? Unless, of course, you choke on the 13th donut, which could be construed, in certain circles, as unlucky. Oh hey - I just looked it up. It's actually a religious/mythological thing having to do with Judas/Loki being the 13th guests at their respective tables. Who knew? I didn't - hence my 13th random fact.


14. I'm allergic to so many different soaps/detergents/random things that I'm seriously considering living in a bubble. Take my right foot. It just developed a series of red itchy bumps for no apparent reason, except that I wore socks & shoes for the first time in months on Saturday. Maybe I have a problem with the laundry detergent. Maybe a bug crawled into my shoe and feasted on my flesh. Maybe my foot is just angry. I really don't know. But I'll find out when I visit the doctor tomorrow.


15. I used to believe that people in photographs could actually see and hear what I was doing outside the photos. I once put on a stellar performance of MacArthur Park (simmah down now!) for my entire 3rd grade class via the framed class photo in my living room and was absolutely crushed when not one of my classmates congratulated me on a job well done the next day at school.


16. My all time favorite movie, regardless of the time of year, is It's a Wonderful Life. The scene when George prays in the bar gets me every time.


Well there they are: 16 things you may or may not have known about me before reading this blog. I'm looking forward to seeing what everybody else has to say as well!

1 comment:

Shannanb, CWB said...

How fun is this list, and I love the images you used. I too and an easy crier. It's sad really.

PS. I'm Irish, and Catholic, and we're OK with you celebrating with us. The more the merrier!