Saturday, March 27, 2010

Oh! The Places You Chould Have Gone!

I'll admit it. I'm a nostalgic girl. I love pulling out old photographs, peering into the past, laughing at the person I was, marveling at the person I've become. But it inevitably leads to remembering points of my life when I was at a crossroads and wondering what would have happened if I had chosen to go a different way.

That's when Imagination proves to be a tricky bitch. You can't really explore the paths you could have chosen without using her, and she totally knows it. This is her time to shine. She makes grad school look like the Emerald City. She makes your other talents, the ones you chose not to focus on, appear much greater than they actually are and a Hell of a lot more lucrative. She'll even shave a little excess off your hips and clear up your damned complexion. Why? Because she can! It makes you like her. It makes you use her more. It makes you think Reality is just a wet blanket.

And, he kind of is. Always reminding you of your obligations. Always giving you car trouble. Always making it rain on days when you wanted to wear sandals. But it's not like he does it to be a jerk. He's just being honest. Isn't that supposed to be a good thing? Honesty?

It is. And so is Imagination. We all need a little sparkle & pizazz in our lives every now & then. So I've learned to try to use her in small doses...and only looking forward. That's actually the key. Using Imagination to look back at what could have been isn't fair to you or Reality. You don't really know what you could have done. You don't really know who you could have met. You don't really know who you would have been. Imagination doesn't know either, she's just making things look pretty. So why not point her in the opposite direction...where she can give you something to look forward to, something to work toward, something that can actually become Reality?

Ah, that's much better.

No comments: