I've been a little grumpy the past week. A situation occurred (it's a work thing - I won't go into specifics) and it just took the wind out of my sails, leaving me feeling sullied & adrift, asking myself the age-old question "What are you really doing with your life?"
Ugh. Self-scrutiny is the most unbearable kind of scrutiny that exists. I hate it. Yet, I can't avoid it. Hard as I try.
So here I've been, feeling like a drone, wishing I could change, knowing I really can't because too many obligations rely on maintaining the status quo.
And then...the earth moved in Haiti. Husbands & Wives were widowed. Children were orphaned. Domesticated pets became ill-equipped strays. Foundations...collapsed (on many different levels). And it all happened in an instant.
Suddenly, I find myself thankful for the very thing I've been resenting the past few days: routine. I woke up today (that's one thing to be thankful for), so did Jay (hey there's another), I snuggled with my kitty (awww...a healthy, happy pet), I left my apartment (cool - I have a home), and got into my car (nifty), and drove to work (holy crap - I have a job!). So yeah, so far today has played out exactly the same way as yesterday...and I guess I'm OK with that.
I'm just sorry it took a natural disaster help me get there.
I've added a widget to the right-hand side of my blog that will take you directly to the American Red Cross website, where you can donate to help with the aid they will be providing to the victims of the earthquake in Haiti. If you woke up today and found everything to be the same as it was the day before, take a moment to be thankful. And then, take a few more moments to click through the American Red Cross link and find ways you can help. (If you're reading this as a note on Facebook, please click the link at the bottom that says "view original post" so you can see the full blog & the American Red Cross Link.)
No comments:
Post a Comment